ABOUT BANDIROSE CAVIES
Hi! Thank you for visiting the BandiRose Cavies website! Im Katie Carter, the person behind BandiRose Cavies. The photo below was taken outside of what was then my caviary shed back in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. My family moved back to our hometown of Bangor, Maine in September of 2002 after living in Chambersburg, PA for almost 11 years.
Here's a little info about my history with cavies...
- My caviary got its name from a meshing of the names of my first two pet cavies, Bandit (a black & white dutch-ish American) and Rosie (a broken colored Abyruvian).
- I had pet cavies (mostly longhairs) all along through childhood and college.
- November 1998 observed my first cavy show in Westminster, Maryland. Met Michael Burch and decided then to work with Teddies.
- December 1998 entered my first cavy show. I'd wanted to show cavies ever since I was a kid!!
- February 1999 won my first Best of Breed with a lemon agouti boar bred by Val Horning -- thanks, Val! (see Woody's awards profile).
- November 2001 won my first Best In Show with a red roan Teddy of "my own" breeding (see Arrowwood's awards profile).
- May 2002 acquired my first Satin Abyssinian (a TSW boar from Sheila Schwartz-Zych). I bred Satin Abys for a short time, developing an affection and appreciation for the often-underrated Aby.
- October 2003 dispersed my entire breeding program due to family & career demands.
Breeding & showing quality purebred cavies was truly the fulfillment of a lifelong dream of mine. I am thankful for the good people and my friends in the cavy fancy who helped make this a wonderful experience for me.